TUTOR: Olive O’Brien is an author and publisher. Olive has published three children’s books, Perry the Playful Polar Bear, Perry the Polar Bear Goes Green and Eco Zico. She has also published a children’s book app for the iPad. She has a Masters in Journalism and previously worked as a features writer and news reporter at The Sunday Business Post and Mid-Day newspaper. Olive blogs for hellomagazine.com and she is the director of Creative Writing Ink. Her eco-friendly book publishing company Silver Angel Publishing was shortlisted for the 2012 David Manley Emerging Entrepreneur Awards and for the Green Communications Award 2012.
DURATION: 6 weeks
Available Start Dates: 16th January 2019.
Places are strictly limited to 10 participants.
Our six-week Online Introduction to Creative Writing Course is suitable for complete beginners and no writing experience is required.
It’s also suitable if you haven’t written anything for a while and if you’d like to get back into a creative writing routine.
Each module contains notes and weekly assignments. Olive will read your assignments and will give you written feedback on your work.
But, the main thing is to free up your imagination and above all have fun!
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart…Williams Wordsworth
(1) Introduction – How to find ideas, the importance of observation and the power of memory.
(2) Characterisation – In the second week, we’ll examine what makes successful characters in fiction.
(3) Point of View. Who is telling the story? One of the most important things you must decide upon is that of person.
(4) Plot and Endings. Whatever you’re writing, there will be a plot – something must happen to your characters. We’ll also examine endings and some do’s and don’t’s!
(5) Dialogue, Settings. In module 5 we’ll provide some tips and suggestions on how to write effective dialogue. We’ll also look at setting.
(6) Revision and Getting Published. The final module will look at how to revise and improve your writing and how to get your work into print.
“As someone with great aspirations of being a writer, without actually doing much about it, this 6 week course was just what I needed to get me going. You could really let your imagination run amok and see what you came up with. The emphasis was on having fun and Olive was a brilliant tutor, giving lots of praise but also insights and tips on how to make your story better. It definitely brought out my inner artist! Having a tutor read your work is invaluable…” Valerie
PAYMENT/REGISTRATION: Please note that we do not require you to fill out a registration form. Instead, please click on the ‘Check Out Securely’ or ‘PayPal’ button. During the payment process you can input your name and email address which we will use to register you on the course. If you’d prefer to use another email address for the course correspondence or if you’re paying on behalf of another student, when you have processed the payment, please send the relevant email address and name for the course correspondence to [email protected] Once you have processed the payment, we will email you within 24 hours to confirm receipt.
Our next Introduction to Creative Writing course starts on 16/01/2019
Check Out Securely